“How can you have PTSD?”
I hear this a lot. And not just to myself, but to others as well. (It’s not like I’m walking around the street with a sight that say’s ‘PTSD’!)
I get the feeling that the average people don’t understand it.
Someone asked me that and said ‘I only thought people from the army get PTSD’
After a minute of open mouth staring I asked him ‘Why do they get PTSD?’
He said ‘Because the situation in war country’s is traumatic’
I told him ‘A lot of situations in Holland are traumatic as well’
He was quiet but told me I was right.
How the hell can people not realize this?
We are not a perfect country!
I did some research on the internet, and yeah, internet is internet but assuming I found the right statistics, and if it’s the truth it means;
- In Holland every week a child dies because of child abuse
- In Holland every year 350000 children are being abused (that are 3 kids out of every class)
- In wealthy countries (like Holland) 5 – 10 % of the girls get raped during their youth. 1 – 5 % of the boys
- In Holland every 30 minutes a pupil attempts suicide
- In Holland are more than 100000 children a witness of domestic violence every year
- In Holland 1 in every 20 kids, self harms.
You can’t be serious about asking the question how someone, who does not work in the army, has PTSD.
Holland, it costs our society about 3 billion euro’s every year to carry the costs of (the effects of) child abuse.
This is a mad world..
But I wont give up.